Pages

Monday 29 March 2010

Where are you on the river?

Last week I went for a short holiday to Bright in the Alpine region of Victoria. It is a beautiful town on the banks of the Ovens River. We walked along a couple of the tracks along the river, and this photo was on the Canyon Walk.

As I looked at the river I was thinking about what my life is like at the moment, and how that compares to a river, such as this one. There are rapids, and rocky parts, but then you come to the smooth, slower parts of the river too. But even under this smooth, quiet part there can be a fast under-current, pulling you along.

I think that's where I might be at the moment, perhaps even about to hit the next set of rapids. I feel pulled in many directs, but not strongly in any particular one.

Other times I feel like a rock in the river. Everyone is flowing past me, in their hurried, busy lives. Life just seems to be passing me by, as I struggle to know just what my place in it is to be. Am I to be a rock that stays in one place, or will I be a rock that is taken further down the river by the current?

How about you? Where are you on the river?

No comments: