Pages

Friday 1 January 2010

Happy New Year!!!

Happy 2010.

Yes, it is the new year. I can hear fireworks going off as I type this.

You might think I'm having a boring 'celebration'. I'm listening to Glenn Miller, doing things on Facebook, and have been watching season 4 of The West Wing. That's all on top of celebrating my Dad's birthday, watching God's fireworks (lightning), and enjoying the smell of rain.

But that suits me just fine. We don't make a big deal of the new year in my family. It's just a marker of the passing of time.

But as I think of what the future will be I have to wonder, what would you (or I) do if we got a glimpse of what would happen in this new year now? Would you freak out, be pleased, be scared ...
I don't know what I would do, I think it would depend on what I saw.

Right now I'm looking for direction as to what I should be doing with my life. Starting a new year when you have no idea what you should be doing is scary. I don't want to waste this year. I want my life to count for something. I want to give myself over to God's leading.

I don't say that lightly. I really do want to do exactly what God wants me to. And that thought is scary too. I don't know what He has planned. All I know is that I'm not happy with some areas of my life and I want that to change.

I'm trusting God to do what's best in my life. Yes, some days this year I will struggle with this.

There's a poem that keeps coming to mind - or at least part of it. Hmm ... how did it go and where did I read it? Oh, now I remember, it was a quote used in Mavis Areta Winder's book 'Safe Than A Known Way'

"And I said to the man who stood at the Gate of Year:
'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown'.
" And He replied: 'Go out into the darkness and put thine hand into the hand of God. That shall be to thee better than light and safer than a known way'."
~ M. Louise Haskins

No comments: