Pages

Tuesday 7 December 2010

Teaser Tuesdays - December 7


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C S Lewis

'My Dear Lucy,

I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be

your affectionate Godfather,

C. S. Lewis'

For something different, this is not actually part of the story, but the dedication at the beginning of the book. I just found it very interesting. Not everyone reads the dedications, but they can give insights into the author and why they wrote the book that you would otherwise be unaware of.

And for another piece of trivia, do you know what the author's initials stand for?

Clive Staples!

No wonder he wanted to be called Jack!

8 comments:

Outi said...

I very rarely read dedications but this really was worth noticing, so many thanks for sharing! I don't think that people should ever consider themselves too old for fairytales though. I know I'm not. :)

Here's ours.

Marg said...

I always read the dedication and acknowledgements!

My teaser is here

gautami tripathy said...

Loved that!

:D

Teaser Tuesady: Miss Hildreth Wore Brown by Olivia deBelle Byrd

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, that's beautiful...and a little sad.

Here's mine:

(click my name)

Alayne said...

Love, love, love this series. Hope you enjoy it! My teaser is at The Crowded Leaf.

Aimee said...

That's lovely! I have read these books but I guess I never really pay attention to the dedications. My teaser is Here

Anonymous said...

Here is my teaser from Witchgrass: A Pipe Dream by Dave Wilkinson (Page 1):

Most gardeners hate witchgrass. Of all weeds it is one of the most persistent and adaptable. Any small piece of rhizome left in the soil can become an aggressive plant ready to take over the plot. Witchgrass is hard to pull. Roots are deep, and break off easily. Any part left in the ground will grow again. Farmers say the species isn't even good as hay, not as good as timothy or alfalfa. Some call it quickgrass.

Early New England colonists blamed evil people for this garden invader. In the seventeenth century villagers would speak this way:

"The surly woman living alone on her dead husband's estate. She goes into the woods and consorts with the Devil. Signs his book. Fornicates with him. Eats mushrooms. She and the Devil send witchgrass to harass the virtuous and the Godly. Let us hang this witch and seize her rich farm."

Lori said...

Classic book. I hope that you are enjoying your book. Check out My Teaser for Tuesday.