Pages

Monday 7 July 2014

Flat Pack Furniture

I'm getting really good at putting flat pack furniture together.
I've put together at least 15 items from Ikea, not to mention numerous others from a variety of stores. Just don't get me started on the desk I bought from Aldi - let me just say NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My most recent experience (that is within the last 4 hours) has been crazy.
A cupboard from Bunnings. Firstly, we needed an extra shelf - which they sell - but was located about 10 aisles from where the cupboard was. Then the package was REALLY heavy - but some very helpful staff got it on the trolley for us and put it in the car. Once we got it home, we decided the easiest way to get it into the house was to open the box and carry the individual pieces in one at a time. So far, so good.

So the basics are the same with all pieces of furniture ... screws, tools needed ...
However, this time the instructions were not complete - you had to download them from the internet. What if you don't have access to the internet at home? Or wherever you are putting it together? The instructions in the box were certainly not detailed enough to put the cupboard together.

Then, there is the issue of how much space you need to actually be able to construct the piece - about 3 times as much space as the finished product will take. So, furniture was moved around so that I had enough space to put it together (which of course means I have to put it all back when I've finished).

Well, it has been finished - except that one of the hinges popped off because the chipboard split, so now we have to figure out how to fix that. GRRRRRR.

No comments: