Pages

Wednesday 30 May 2007

THE POSTAL SERVICE NO ONE HEARS ABOUT


THE POSTAL SERVICE NO ONE HEARS ABOUT
Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after
he died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and
talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we
could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to Heaven,
God would recognize her.
She dictated and I wrote:
Dear God,
Will you please take special care of our dog, Abbey? She
died yesterday and is in heaven. We miss her very much. We
are happy that you let us have her as our dog even though she
got sick. I hope that you will play with her.
She liked to play with balls and swim before she got sick.
I am sending some pictures of her so that when you see her
in heaven you will know she is our special dog. But I really do
miss her.
Love, Meredith Claire P.S. Mommy wrote the words after I
told them to her.
We put that in an envelope with two pictures of Abbey, and
addressed it to God in Heaven. We put our return address
on it. Then Meredith stuck some stamps on the front (because,
as she said, it may take lots of stamps to get a letter all the
way to Heaven) and that afternoon I let her drop it into the
letter box at the post office.
For a few days, she would ask if God had gotten the letter
yet. I told her that I thought He had.
Yesterday there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our
front porch. Curious, I went to look at it. It had a gold star
card on the front and said "To Meredith" in an unfamiliar hand.
Meredith took it in and opened it.
Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers, "When a Pet Dies". Taped
to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God,
in its opened envelope (which was marked Return to Sender:
Insufficient address). On the opposite page, one of the
pictures of Abbey was taped under the words "For Meredith".
We turned to the back cover, and there was the other picture
of Abbey, and this handwritten note on pink paper:
***************************************************************************************************************************
Dear Meredith,
I know that you will be happy to know that Abbey arrived safely
and soundly in Heaven! Having the pictures you sent to me was
such a big help. I recognized Abbey right away. You know,
Meredith, she isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me--
just like she stays in your heart--young and running and playing. Abbey loved being your dog, you know.
Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any
pockets!-- so I can't keep your beautiful letter. I am sending
it to you with the pictures so that you will have this book to
keep and remember Abbey.
One of my angels is taking care of this for me. I hope the little
book helps. Thank you for the beautiful letter. Thank your
mother for sending it. What a wonderful mother you have! I
picked her especially for you.
I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you
very much.
By the way, I am in heaven but wherever there is love, I am
there also.
Love, God and the special angel who wrote this after God told
her the words.

As a parent and a pet lover, this is one of the kindest things
that I've ever experienced. I have no way to know who sent
it, but there is some very kind soul working in the dead letter
office. Just wanted to share this act of compassion.

Blessings of love, peace, health & happiness.

-Author Unknown

No comments: