Pages

Friday 25 May 2007

Forget Diamonds

Forget diamonds ... we all know that a good bag is really a girl's best friend!
Patchwork & Stitching magazine (2007 Annual)


So that's why I design and make my own handbags.
The first time I made one was way back in 1995, when I made a pattern from a bag that a friend gave me. Since then that pattern has been modified 3 times.

I now no longer use those bags, and although I still have the pattern, I haven't used it in a long time.

In the past 3 years I have borrowed books on how to make bags from the local library and taken ideas I like plus some of my own to come up with a unique bag, that is very functional for me. I'm currently on the second version, with more ideas for an improved model. Different fabric, different closures, extra pockets (my current bag has a specific pocket for my mobile phone), and different embellishments. Of course changes mean different ways and orders of sewing the parts together, but that's all part of the fun of creating your own designs.

No photos, but maybe that will come later.

No comments: