Pages

Tuesday 8 December 2009

Teaser Tuesdays (December 8th)





Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:




  • Grab your current read

  • Open to a random page

  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Notes to a Working Woman by Luci Swindoll

So ominous is the threat of change that we submit to tedium, boredom, and apathy. Then what happens? We feel trapped. We're in a rut. Life is a grind. We hate our circumstances and ourselves ... and often those around us. I've heard those comments over and over and over from people who want to move ahead, yet wonder why they don't. They're scared to death of risk.

Don't live your life in fear, my friend. Have courage. Believe your circumstances can change, then step out. Get at it. The philosopher Descartes wrote, "Desire awakens only to things that are thought possible." Our characters simply cannot develop until we are willing to be courageous in our circumstances. Stop holding back!

Luci Swindoll is a woman I greatly admire. I have read a few of her books in recent times. She is someone I would love to have dinner with one day. Actually, I briefly met her brother, Chuck Swindoll, when he was last in Australia. Anyway, I highly recommend reading any one of Luci's books, but I have to say that my favorite is 'I Married Adventure'. I've been passing that one around my friends so often, that it is rarely on my bookshelf.

No comments: